Wednesday, May 25, 2005

 

The EU, flags and aid

My first ever flag arrived yesterday. I had purchased it of a website that enabled you to choose any countries flag, as well as a few non-country flags (scull and crossbones, rainbow, NATO etc), for less than £10, including postage. As my loyal readers may have guessed, I don’t go in for ostentatious patriotism, complete with flag waving and bunting (it was only excusable after WW2, and only then for about a month), I like the UK and Europe, but I don’t ask God to bless it, or to salute the flag (and picture of Our Glorious Leader) every day. I accept that my country could be wrong on things, and I’m too much of a moral relativist to say that I would always support it. I have nothing against patriotism, only it has to be carefully managed otherwise it turns into nationalism, a whole different kettle of fish. Back to the flag… It wasn’t a Union Jack, but the lovely EU flag, with the nice blue, and the stars. I will hang it on my wall, and I do feel pride in the great institution that is a relatively new superpower, with soft power (diplomacy, aid etc), as opposed to the US’s hard power (bombs etc). I feel pride at the European social modal, of helping those who need it with monetary aid and free healthcare. I love the USE (if you will) that will be able to play a counterweight to the USA in times to come, and the grouping together of countries with diverse heritage, yet common goals in order to create a better, fairer Europe, and therefore world. I think that if Turkey joins, we will have had a regime change, from a (although more European than much of the middle east) with Human Rights abuses, to a country with equal rights for many. Granted, the richer nations have to pay a little more out, but it improves the lives and freedoms of so many more, and that appeals to my Utilitarian streak. The Ukraine wants to join, and I think the EU should expand into north Africa, and fill the void in eastern Europe left by the collapse of the Soviet Union. The EU has a lot of economic clout, and together we can be strong. Ahem… In short, the EU has pledged to give more in aid (although not meeting targets of 0.7% GDP), and hopefully this will give countries like Japan and the US the kick needed to try and eradicate poverty. I think this can be done, as long as we have unity. That’s why I support the Make Poverty History campaign (see band at top of page), and have my wristband. I also emailed Tony Blair, in a hope of spurring him on. It is our generations moral duty to help others, and regardless of what motivates you (religion or ethical outlook), together we can do this.
|

<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?